CI-310 : Sept 27, 2000
- Follow up on Web101
- Collect Assignment Three
- Return Quiz One-Two
Chapter 5: The Role of Software
Renting Software of the web: page 141-2.
What is software? detailed instructions that control computer operations
Two types of software: systems (Win98) and applications(Word).
- Operating Systems: allocating system resources, scheduling work, monitoring activities
- Multiprogramming: execute multiple programs on 1 computer
- Multitasking: multiprogramming on PCs
- Virtual Storage (fixed-memory length sharing)
- Time Sharing (fixed-time length sharing)
- Language Translations (not Babelfish.com) and Utilities
- source code
- object code
- another option: an interpreter
- utility programs (ie, delete )
- GUI: graphical user interface
PC Operating Systems, p.148
- Windows ME, Wn98, Win95
- win3.11 , 3.1, 3.0
- ?? does Win98 close integration of IE blur the OS/App boundary?
- Win2000 (NT x.0)
- OS/2 IBM
- Linux near-Unix for the common man. Price: Free
- Mac OS
- Machine Languages (1GL)
- Assembler Languages (2GL)
- Fortran, COBOL, Basic, QBasic, C, C++ (3GL)
- Frontpage, Director, VisBasic? (4GL)
Admiral Grace Hopper
- Navy's first female admiral
- the term "bugs"
- Microsoft Women's Network: Hoppers
- Topic: Who Are the Women of Computing? Ada Babbage, Grace Hopper, Kim Polese (Firefly), Pattie Maes (MIT). Any nominations?
PC Software Tools
- Word Processing (WordPerfect)
- Spreadsheets (Lotus, Excel)
- Data Management Software (Access)
- Presentation Graphics (PowerPoint)
- Suites: Office
- Email (Outlook, Eudora)
(as opposed to: procedural programming)
- visual programming (see Visual Basic)
- Classes (also superclasses and subclasses)
- DUKW, Corvettes
- small footprint
- platform independent
- may not scale up well
- an impure open standard
- derivatives of SGML, Specialized General Markup Language.
- HTML describes web page content, but not really web page format
- CSS brings presentation format back into web pages
- XML is a further development of HTML
- XML puts label-wrappers around data
- XML makes content machine-understandable but only
to machines that have been programmed to understand
- XML success is dependent on acceptance of dictionaries
- industry acceptance of dictionaries is problematic
- Instructor Opinion: this is the most recent NextBestThing. Standby for downsizing of expectations accompanied by some actual benefits.
Business Management of Software
The ASP model
- rent the software you want per use
- ASP maintains the software
- ASP pays for the license
ERP: Enterprise Resource Planning Software p.168
Permits company to manage all assets through the IS
- "Organizational needs should drive software selection".
To Do For Next Class, 10/04/00
- Read Chapter 6.
- Prepare for Quiz Quiz Three(5%). (Same format, different length as previous)
- Personal Project Definitions Due (on paper, typed, cover sheet. Tell me what you're going to do your personal project on- if it's the website, tell me what the sub-pages are likely to be.)
Something To Expect for Next Class: I'll post several group projects. Students may choose their own projects and identify their own groups. Groups may also propose alternative projects.