CI-310 : Sept 13, 2000
- Return Assignment One
- Distribute Comment Forms
- Collect Assignment Two
- Discuss Personal Projects (Websites or XYZ ?)
Any questions on Chapter Two?
Class Discussion: Loudon, Chapter 3, pg. 72-105.
What is an Organization?
Or, from Aristotle:
What isn't an organization?
- An intentionally structured group of people that work together to pursue a stated goal.
- People paticipate in these org's because either:
- enough of their needs are met to justify their personal investment
- costs of non-participation exceed costs of participation (ie, draft)
Common Features of Orgs (table 3-1)
- Org Politics
Politics: L. politicus Gr. politikos, of a citizen or state.
- Org Culture
5 different Org Types, Table 3-2
Orgws and Environments. Two paragraphs at bottom of p.78
p.82, second paragraph: Therefore, ...
Changing Role of IS
Figure 3-6, Evolution of IT
It Services & Different Roles, p. 84-85
How InfoSys affect Orgs
Three economic perspectives, p.85
- transaction cost
- agency theory
- could work
- Technology will not insure IT success - people will
- Tech Change Manamgement = How Do We Motivate People?
- are tech managers prepared for this?
Integrating Systems and Business Process
- Industrial Networks
Role of Managers in Organizations
- Classical Models
- Three Managerial Roles
Decision Making, p. 97
Simon's Stages of Decision Making, p. 98
Individual Models of Decision Making
- cognitive style
- affective (opposite of cognitive)
Org Models of Decision Making
- Garbage Can
Implications/Challenge: How do we build ISs that lead each type of org back to the "golden mean"?
Summary: pgs. 101-103
How do we lead people through technical change?
How do we persuade people to make any change?
To Do For Next Class, 9/20/00
- Send the comment forms to the far corner of the room!
- Read Chapter Four for next week
- Look at the references (links) above on Rhetoric, Ethos, Pathos, Logos
(it might serve you well on the midterm).
- If you want to get ahead on Assignment Two, it will be SolveIt Spreadsheet Case2, pgs 28-29 (tutorial pgs 30-35) and Spreadsheet Case3, pg. 36-39 (tutorial pgs. 39-40).