CI-310 : Sept 06, 2000
From Last Class:
- Any new folks/missing handouts?
- Assignment One
- Review Feedback, Talk Slower, Class Schedule, Projects
Chapter One: Revolution
Table 1-1, Changing Business Environment
- What is a System?
- What is an Info System?
- Business Perspective on Info Systems - that's why we buy them!
- Organizations: The First Machine.
- Two Contemporary Approaches: Technical and Behavioral
- Fig. 1-8
New Org Design:
- Flat Orgs
- Location Doesn't Matter
- Virtual Orgs
- Re-Org Work Flows
EMarkets and E-Business
Key Challenge Issues:
- Strategic Business Challgne (p.27)
- Global Challenge
- Info Arch. Challenge
- Info Investment Challenge
- Responsibility & Control challenge
Take A Break
Tactical vs Strategic
Different Kinds Of Systems (p.39)
- sorted by customers Fig 2-1
- sorted by content and deliverables:
- Office Systems
- Dricker: External vs Internal Data
- Functional Perspectives (p.49)
Strategic Info Systems
- Competitive Forces Model
- Value Chain Model
Competitive Forces Model
- product differentiation
- focused differentiation
- switching costs
- commodity (low-cost producer)
- supply-chain management
Value Chain Model
- Primary Activities
- Secondary Activities
- Strategic Alliances
- Strategic Transitions
- Four Good Initiatives: page 61-2
Quality is Info Based
Summary page 65-66.
- Simplification of Process or Product
- Customer Demand Drives Business
- Reduce Cycle Time
- Improve Precision of Design
- Improve Precision of Production
To Do For Next Class, 9/13/00
- Finish Chapter Two, Skim Chapter Three
- Read SolveIt!, pg. 1-23.
- Assignment Two: SolveIt pg 20-21, TDC Office Environments. If necessary, consult Excel Tutorial pgs. 22 - 27.
- Consider what type of website you might like to build for your Personal Project.