CI-310 : Aug 30, 2000
- Toffler's Three Waves: Farms, Factories, Floppies.
- Digital vs Analog info & processes
- Place Doesn't Matter
- Digital Convergence
- Price Discrimination (Yield Management)
- One-to-One Marketing. Viral Marketing.
- Mass Customization
- Projects not Products
- Network Economies
- IT as a competitive advantage (Verifone, Fedex, WalMart, Kinkos)
- Data, Information, Knowledge
- Present Usage
- Some Theories: interrogative, epidemiological
- Communication: Ethos, Pathos, Logos
- Does Communication Matter?
- What does 2nd-3rd wave transition mean to DIK?
- What does 2nd-3rd wave transition mean to E-P-L?
- How does communication change in the third wave?
- How does communication handle the differences among DIK?
- How does communication affect the IT field?
- Is the Web a given?
- Problem of the Commons: CB's, NPH, telegraph
- WW2 : the new web.
- National governments desire governance
- taxation and nexus
- Can we run a web economy when 16 year-olds can shut it off?
Something Optional to Read:
As We May Think, Vannevar Bush.
Think the web started in '98?? Here's the 1945 article that sparked it. (Preemo Interview Stuff).
To Do For Next Class:
- Have all the books
- Obtain an email address
- Read Chapter One, Laudon and Laudon
- Know Case Study, pg. 34-35. Be prepared to discuss.
- Assignment One: Laudon pg. 33. Consider questions 2, 6, 8, 10, 13. Answer any three of these five questions.
- Points to Ponder:
- Point to Ponder 1: Identify presence (or lack) of ethos, pathos, logos in instructor's presentation.
- Point to Ponder 2: What else should the class website have to be most effective?
- It is your option to elect to substitute one of these P2P for one of the three questions in Assignment One.
To restate: you may answer any two questions from (2, 6, 8, 10, 13) plus one of the P2P's.
- Assignment Two will involve work on problems using SolveIt!, so it may be wise to get it installed and take a look at it.